You might come across these beautiful flowers in nature, but be careful, what you don’t know about these flowers is that they can be incredibly dangerous.
The Daphne plant is frequently called Lady Laurel and Paradise Plant. Daphne’s can be a popular plant to grow because of the fragrance that many people enjoy. Daphne is a medium size shrub that can grow to be approximately 1 foot tall and 3 feet wide. It has green leaves and the flowers come in various colors ranging from white to green and pink. All parts of the Daphne are poisonous including the stems, leaves, flowers, and roots. They all contain mezerine and daphnin which have been known to cause a wide range of symptoms including stomach pains , delirium, convulsions, and headaches.
Lily of the Valley
Lily of the Valley is a beautiful plant with long green leaves and small white bell shaped flowers. All parts of the Lily of the Valley are toxic and ingesting the flowers can be very dangerous. Lily of the Valley can cause everything from stomach pains, vomiting, and digestion problems.
Belladonna is a plant with green leaves, purple flowers, and small berries that look edible. These small berries along with the rest of the plant are not edible, but toxic. Belladonna contains tropical alkaloids, which cause symptoms like headaches, delirium, convulsions, and possibly damage a person’s nervous symptom. Belladonna is lethal to people and animals alike.
Azaleas and Rhododendron
Azaleas and Rhododendron are both known as evergreen shrubs with bell shaped blooms in many colors. Many historical stories discuss Azaleas and Rhododendron and their poisonous ways. These plants contain adromedatoxin , a poison to people, that can cause nausea, pains, paralysis, and has even been known to cause death.
Oleander and Autumn Crocus
While these two flowers are not in same category, they have both taken the title of the most dangerous flower in the world. Oleander is shrub with small green leaves and fragrant pink flowers. Most parts of the Oleander plant contain neriine, oleandrin, and several other toxins. These toxins can affect the nervous system, digestive system damage, and the heart. They also cause symptoms such as tremors, seizures and coma. The Autumn Crocus is an extremely endangered plant. Not all varieties of the Autumn Crocus are dangerous; however the plants with white or light purple flowers can contain a toxin called colchicine. Ingesting the Autumn Crocus can lead to cardiac arrest or other cardiovascular complications.