In the hectic world we live in we sometimes neglect our spouse. Whether it’s due to work, kids, meetings, or other circumstances; it happens. But in order to create or maintain a healthy relationship we have to be willing to make that time, reserve a special day, and put the other person first.
Because men are different than women they may not always enjoy the same things. For instance a woman who isn’t into hunting may not want to participate in that activity and a man that doesn’t like crafts most likely won’t spend the day scrapbooking.
However there are things that a couple can do together that are not gender specific.
1. Spa-I know what you’re thinking, when you hear the word spa you automatically think of a woman going with her friends for a day of pampering. But in today’s society men are even going and it’s actually a good thing. The couple can go and get a massage together, he can get a haircut while she gets hers colored, and although they may not want to admit it, men are even getting pedicures these days. Spending time at a spa doesn’t just allow you to get pampered but it’s also a great stress reliever.
2. Picnic-Everyone has to eat but some of us like it more than others; me being one of them. Because of the economy not everyone is able to go to a nice restaurant for a day/night out together. So instead of putting a dent in your wallet plan a picnic in the park. You can bring a nice blanket from home, a good meal, and even a bottle of wine; if you choose. Not only will you be saving money you’ll be giving your spouse your complete and total attention.
3. Gardening-I’ve recently taken an interest in gardening so my husband was kind enough to make a space in our backyard that would accommodate my new project. Something that we started doing together is plant flowers. I don’t have a green thumb and he’s still learning but we had a lot of fun spending that time together. If your spouse isn’t into that sort of thing you can still spend time together outside; you can plant flowers while he mows the lawn. This is a way my husband relaxes; don’t ask me how, he just does.
4. Shopping-Generally speaking women love, love, love to shop. They can spend hours at the mall and not walk away with a single thing. Because of this sometimes men get a little bored, so to resolve this issue plan a shopping trip when you know it will benefit the both of you. If you plan on making over a room in your house, head to Home Depot, if you are planning a party, head to a party supply store or food shopping, if you are invited to a wedding, head to the mall and help each other pick out an outfit. This will help your husband tolerate a day of shopping and enjoy his time with you.
5. The great outdoors-Spending time outside is good for us. The fresh air can do wonders for a person and it really helps you to relax. So plan a day of outdoor recreation; such as swimming, bar-b-queuing, hiking, etc. It’s another good way to de-stress and get some excursive; which we could all use more of.
Marriages aren’t perfect; life happens and we don’t always get to catch up with our spouse the way we should. But you can start today by implementing one or all of these ideas in your life. Your spouse will thank you for it when they notice the effort.