Jailbreaking an iPhone is far from being a new thing, but has recently gained wide range appeal. Currently 10% of all iPhone owners have Jailbroken their iPhones, but some of the remaining 90% of iPhone users are reluctant to jailbreak their iPhone due to the following false iPhone Jailbreaking myths.
Jailbreaking is illegal
One of the most common false myths about Jailbreaking an iPhone is that Jailbreaking is illegal. In the past there were lots of gray areas concerning how legal – or illegal – Jailbreaking was, but in July 2010, the U.S. Library of Congress ruled Jailbreaking iPhones perfectly legal.
Jailbreaking can put your iPhone in a vulnerable state
Corrupting an iPhone by allowing unauthorized third-party apps is another major concerns, would-be iPhone Jailbreakers are worried about – and its honestly a legitimate concern. iPhone owners fear that opening up their iPhone to “non-trusted” iPhone app developers can open up their iPhone to vulnerabilities, but Jailbreaking your iPhone won’t put your iPhone at risk. It is wise not to install third-party apps from suspicious websites, but using underground app stores like Cydia and Rock Your IPhone won’t put your iPhone at risk.
Jailbreaking is just for pirating apps
When people hear the word “jailbreak”, they automatically think of iPhone app piracy, but pirating apps isn’t what Jailbreaking an iPhone is all about. Jailbreaking an iPhone allows iPhone users to have complete access to the iPhones internal files and gives iPhone owners the ability to tweak their iPhone’s settings to their liking. Jailbreaking an iPhone is less about pirating apps and more about fixing usability issues that Apple won’t bother with.
Jailbreaking will “break” your iPhone
The biggest fear associated with Jailbreaking an iPhone is the fear that an iPhone jailbreak can render an iPhone useless – known as bricking. The fear of bricking my iPhone was the only reason that I was reluctant to jailbreak my iPhone, but fortunately the infamous iPhone jailbreak brick is a thing of the past. The original iPhone jailbreaks could lead to an iPhone brick, but today’s iPhone jailbreak is virtually unbrickable. If your iPhone is showing brick-like symptoms after an iPhone jailbreak, throw it in Device Firmware Upgrade mode and use iTunes to restore your iPhone.
Jailbreaking your iPhone is difficult
This myth was once true, but today’s jailbreak couldn’t be easier. The first jailbreaks required iPhone users to hook their iPhone’s to their computers and manual hack them, but today’s jailbreak can be installed without the aid of a computer using the iPhone’s Safari browser.
For more, read 7 iPhone Features You Absolutely Can’t Enjoy Without a Jailbroken iPhone, It’s Legal to Jailbreak an iPhone, but You Could Still Land in Trouble, and 4 Reasons Apple Doesn’t Want You to Jailbreak Your iPhone – and Why You Should.
Check out my blog for the latest in tech news.