If you want to enjoy a fun day of rock climbing, Texas is a great place to do it at. Whether you live in Texas or are just passing through for vacation, here are 5 places for a rock climbing vacation in Texas:
1. Enchanted Rock – Enchanted Rock State Natural Area has over 1,643 acres on Big Sandy Creek for visitors to enjoy. Located north of Fredericksburg between Gillespie and Llano Counties, this piece of Texas countryside has some great climbing opportunities. Enchanted Rock has a rich history and was declared a National Natural Landmark in 1970. It is also one of the largest batholiths in the US. It makes the top of the list because it offers technical and rock climbing for climbers of all levels and it’s a beautiful place to visit time and time again.
2. Franklin Mountains – Franklin Mountains State Park is in El Paso Texas and is another great opportunity for rock climbing in Texas. The Franklin Mountains are a beautiful backdrop to the city of El Paso and you can view them even passing through on the highway. Franklin Mountains State Park gives you the opportunity to be one with nature and rock climb through these enormous Texas Mountains. Rock climbing is new on the list of recreational activities at Franklin, with climbing areas in McKelligon Canyon.
3. Lake Mineral Wells – Lake Mineral Wells State Park is 3282.5 acres of Texas landscaping at its finest. For rock climbing and rappelling, you will need to check in at headquarters and climbing is unsupervised so if you’re new, you may want to bring along a guide or experienced climber for assistance. When rock climbing at Lake Mineral Wells, you will see some beautiful sights.
4. McKinney Falls State Park- McKinney Falls is about 13 miles from downtown Austin, making this the closest one to my own home. But when you’re inside the park, you don’t have a clue you’re this close to the state capital. The designated rock climbing area is between the upper and lower McKinney Falls so you get a beautiful view like you won’t find most places. Since you don’t have to trek far from the city for this rock climbing vacation, it’s great for a quick weekend getaway or even a one-day event.
5. Barton Creek Greenbelt- Barton Creek Greenbelt is another Texas climbing area worth making the list. You will see lush vegetation, sheer cliff walls and more in Barton Creek. This public park is also located within the city limits of Austin in South Central Texas, making it easy to access. Learn more about rock climbing in Barton Creek Greenbelt from rockclimbing.com.
Something else that you will see in Texas is an abundance of indoor rock climbing facilities. If you’re unable to get to one of these locations for vacation or if you want to prepare for your rock climbing vacation in Texas, it is a great way to get warmed up for the outdoor climb.
Texas Parks and Wildlife