With Los Angeles traffic being what it is, park and ride opportunities encourage commuters to give public transport a try. A major event venue urges attendees to use park and ride locations designed for guest pick up and drop off. LAX offers FlyAway service.
Hollywood Bowl: 14 Park and Ride Locations
The Hollywood Bowl is located at 2301 North Highland Avenue. It hosts major events, galas and concerts but parking is so limited that a valet option is actually a perk of becoming a bronze level donor. That being said, the Hollywood Bowl offers bus service from 14 park and rides to the event center and back. Tickets are $5 during pre-sales or $8 at the lots.
The lots are located at:
- Sherman Oaks (Line 651) at 14006 Riverside Drive
- Westwood (Line 652) at 11000 Wilshire Boulevard
- Chatsworth (Line 653) at 21510 Devonshire Street
- Westchester (Line 654) at 6212 West Manchester Avenue
- Pasadena (Line 655) at 240 Ramona Street
- El Monte (Line 656) at the Metro Bus Terminal off the San Bernardino Freeway
- Torrance (Line 657) at 2000 North Crenshaw Boulevard
- Santa Monica (Line 658) at 2235 Colorado Avenue
- East L.A. (Line 659) at 1301 Avenida Cesar Chavez
- Lakewood (Line 660) at Lakewood Center Mall
- Downey (Line 661) at 12801 Lakewood Boulevard
- Culver City (Line 662) at 9099 Washington Boulevard
- Arcadia (Line 663) at 405 South Santa Anita Avenue
- Rowland Heights (Line 665) at 17250 East Colima Road
Tip: Always pre-purchase a roundtrip ticket; in case of crowded park and ride locations, riders with pre-purchased tickets are given preference when boarding.
Metro: 9 Los Angeles Park and Rides
Parking at Metro park and ride locations is generally free of charge. They are situated next (or near) to Metro Rail – and bus stations as well as the Metro Rapid. Los Angeles locations include:
- The Artesia Transit Center at 731 West 182 Street with 980 spots
- Avalon Green Line Station at 11667 South Avalon Boulevard with 263 spots
- Harbor Freeway Green Line Station at 11500 South Figueroa Street with 663 spots
- Heritage Square Gold Line Station at 3545 Pasadena Avenue with 274 spots
- Manchester at the Manchester/Harbor Transitway with 127 spots
- Rosecrans at Rosecrans/Harbor Transitway with 342 spots
- Skirball Park and Ride at 2350 Skirball Center Drive with 26 spots
- Slauson at Slauson/Harbor Transitway with 160 spots
- Washington/Fairfax at 2501 South Fairfax Avenue with 42 spots
Tip: While most feature ample parking spots, some are in high traffic locales and Angelenos can choose to reserve their spots for varying monthly lot rates. In L.A., only the Avalon Green Line, Harbor Freeway Green Line and Heritage Square Gold Line offer reserved parking. Costs may range from $25 to $39 per month.
LAX Park and Ride at Metrolink’s Union Station Locale
Los Angeles traffic is frequently blamed for missed flights. Not surprisingly, park and ride locations near the airport offer the freedom to leave behind the car for a while – in exchange for a hefty fee. For the motorist who wants to park and ride on the cheap, the Union Station at 800 North Alameda Street location provides a good alternative.
Do not park in Lot B, which is directly associated with Union Station (overnight parking is forbidden), but instead park at Gateway Plaza for $6 a day or $70 per month (there is a 30-day parking limit).
Tip: Connect with the FlyAway bus service to LAX at Patsaouras Bus Plaza, berth 9.