Will the 2010 Senate Unemployment Extension decision be coerced by action in the House? Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi shot down a revised bill from the Senate yesterday-calling it “inadequate” because it didn’t address the jobs bill.
The statement from Pelosi, which can be read here, might be the first step in the 2010 Senate Unemployment Extension decision being manipulated by the House-who originally passed a bill that would have added a 2010 Senate Unemployment Extension until nearly Christmas.
The Senate has completely dropped the ball with this issue. With fears of the deficit arising, the Senate did not pass a jobs bill that would have added several incentives including the 2010 Unemployment Benefits Extension. There are going to be a reported 1.2 million people this week who fall under the category of those who have lost their benefits. These 1.2 million people have received unemployment benefits anywhere from 26 weeks to 99 weeks. Those who are hoping to enter a Tier 5 would probably not receive a 2010 Unemployment Benefits Extension from this particular bill. It would help a growing number of jobless Americans who have lost their benefits through as little as 26 weeks.
I find it hard to believe that jobless Americans one year ago were allowed 99 total weeks of unemployment benefits yet those who have been out of work 26 weeks this year are left without additional benefits. What does this say for how our country is currently working in terms of providing aid during an economic crisis? There is a school of thought, however ignorant it is, that the massive amounts of unemployed can go back to work whenever they want-or more appropriately, whenever the Senate pulls the plug on the Unemployment Extension. Unfortunately, there are still a reported 5 applicants for each American job. That means if the Senate does the math they will find that, if best case scenario, every American who can takes a job-there will still be 80% more who are still out of work. Does that fix the economy if 20% of those who are unemployed have jobs and the other 80% verge on bankruptcy?
The 2010 Senate Unemployment Extension needs to happen quickly. Some jobless Americans have now been without a check for 3 weeks. I can only imagine how scary this situation is for those who had already exhausted their savings while searching for a job. People have bills that aren’t going to get paid because of the lack of urgency or empathy from the United States Senate. I say “thank you” to Nancy Pelosi for recognizing this and standing through the adversity in Washington. President Barack Obama realizes the dire consequences and so does Vice President Joe Biden. When will the Senate finally realize a 2010 Senate Unemployment Extension decision is pivotal for so many people-for our country as a whole?