You can actually choose to be happy or not. The power of the brain and positive thinking has power over your emotions and feelings. If you are the type of person who sees the glass as half empty you may need a little help finding ways to be happier. If you try to implement some of the ideas listed you just might start to feel like a new (happier) person.
There are many ways to be a happy person. Remember that even though others may make you angry or sad, only you can hold onto those feelings. If you need to learn how to be happy the 20 ways to be happier listed below can change your outlook.
List of 20 Ways to Be Happy
1. When you wake up in the morning repeat a positive phrase a few times to yourself. Example: Today will be a Great day!
2. Do something about it; if you are unhappy about something reflect on how you can change your situation around for the better.
3. Smile, just try smiling and you will start to feel happier.
4. Pay it forward. Doing something for someone else makes you feel great.
5. Make a gratitude journal and list five to ten items that you are thankful for everyday.
6. Get enough water, rest and exercise and you will automatically be a happier person.
7. Make time daily for your friends. Even if they are online friends on a social networking site. Connecting with others makes you happier.
8. Play hooky for ten minutes, an hour or a day if you need to get away from a stressful situation and find your happy place.
9. Watch your favorite comedy show, movie or comedian and laugh until you cry. You just cannot be sad if you are guffawing away.
10. Try aromatherapy. Certain citrus oil scents can lift your mood.
11. Do something for yourself. Maybe you need some new clothes or a manicure. Maybe you just need to soak in the tub or relax alone with a good book. Take time to rejuvenate yourself so you can be a happier you.
12. Remember to stop and smell the roses. Sometimes we just get so caught up in our unhappiness that we forget there are good things in the world.
13. Take the road less traveled, and that could make all the difference in your happiness.
14. Listen to your favorite upbeat songs and sing along. This always makes me feel better. Pump up the volume.
15. Try something new, whether it is a new food, a new way to work or a new style of music. Try it, you’ll like it and gain a new perspective.
16. Go pet a puppy and you will feel happier almost instantly. Try a pet shop and ask to see the cutest little doggy in the window.
17. Get hug happy. Go hug someone such as a spouse, a child, relative, friend or even a stranger.
18. Set new goals for yourself that are attainable. Setting short term goals that you are sure to reach will give you a sense of pride and happiness.
19. Study other happy people and copy their “happy” actions.
20. Send that thank you card you have been putting off. Or write a letter of appreciation to someone who deserves it.
Don’t Worry – Be Happy!