“Most of us spend the first six days of each week sowing wild oats; then go to church on Sunday and pray for a crop failure.”
Fred Allen, American Comedian 1894 – 1956
The best time to get ready to do something is before it is time to do it. Settling down with the love of your life is not something to do on a whim. Before a man can properly settle down, the man must prepare to settle down. The following lists 15 things every guy should do before he settles down.
Every guy must pass through three phases before he is prepared to settle down. Phase Number One is the wild and crazy guy phase. Phase Number Two finds the guy moving to commitment to personal development, maturity, and responsibility. Phase Three finds the guy committed to giving to and working for the benefit of others.
Dr. Na’im Akbar says there are three stages of a man’s development moving from male to boy to man. One is born male biologically with the penis, testicles and supporting cast of biological predispositions. Becoming boy is to become preoccupied with the play things of the environment. This would represent Phase Two. Boys become men when they are committed to building family, community, and institutions. This activity represents the evolution to man in Phase Three.
Phase One – The Wild and Crazy Guy
Phase One is the guy’s season for sowing his wild oats. This guy is doing every crazy thing that he can imagine for the sheer fun of being male to do it. Guys are lucky to survive this phase with brain and body intact.
15. Date a lot of women from many cultures to find out just how excellent different can be.
14. Go to a strip club and experience the lap dance.
13. Get drunk and get a tattoo.
12. Bungee jump and skydive to feel the rush of adrenaline that just can be experienced on the ground.
11. See some of the world by traveling to Europe, Africa, Asia or Australia.
Phase Two – Commitment to Personal Development, Maturity, and Responsibility
Phase Two gives evidence a guy has figured out there is more to life than trying to always find the next good time. This is the time to begin to sort out priorities and consider what he will spend his time doing for the rest of his life. He realizes that he can’t be drunk every day and live crazy. He cannot have every lover that he wants. Phase Two is a time of self – realization and preparation for Phase Three.
10. Spend a month alone in an isolated location living off the land.
9. Design and map out a personal life plan to include criteria for mating and settling down.
8. Serve your country in the military.
7. Complete your education.
6. Embark on and establish your career.
Phase Three – Commitment to giving to and working for the benefit of others
Phase Three is taking on the activity and real life of the adult and mature man seeking to make a lasting contribution to life through his accomplishments and his relationships. Mating with the love of his life is the pinnacle reward and achievement of his hard work and development.
5. Be a community service volunteer for a big brother program, work in a food pantry, or visit seniors living in long term care facilities that get no visits.
4. Work on a political campaign.
3. Choose a Spiritual Path.
2. Develop a portfolio. Own a car, some property, and investments. 1. Live out your criteria for the right one so that when you have found the love of your life, you are prepared to settle and build life together.