Fall is almost here and that means you should be thinking about what you are going to be planting for the spring. Fall is the best time to plant spring bulbs but there are some things you need to keep in mind. If you are going to be planting bulbs in the fall for the spring season then you might want to heed some of this advice.
1. One thing you want to consider before planting bulbs in the fall is the location of the bulbs. You should keep the bulbs about five feet away from any buildings or other foundations. The buildings absorb heat and the heat could transfer to the bulbs which would ruin them. Make sure that you are planting bulbs away from your house and other locations for the best growth.
2. When you are choosing the bulbs you want to plant in the fall you also need to make sure you get nice and big bulbs. You do not want to get bulbs that are damaged or small because they will not produce a good plant. If a bulb is damaged it might not even produce anything at all, so always check the bulbs first to make sure they are good quality.
3. You also need to plant bulbs in the fall in a location where there is optimal drainage. You should check the soil to make sure that there is enough drainage so the bulbs do not become waterlogged. Too much rain or water can ruin your bulbs so always plant in a location with good irrigation or drainage.
4. When you are planting bulbs in the fall you also want to make sure that the holes you dig are what the bulb calls for. The package on the bulb should give you directions about how deep to dig the hole and how far apart each hole should be. Usually a large bulb will require an 8 inch hole with six-inches in between it and another bulb. If there are no directions on the bulbs you purchased you can always ask someone at the local flower store and they should be able to give you proper instructions on the hole specifications.
5. It is also a good idea to add a bulb fertilizer or an organic fertilizer to help when you plant your bulbs in the fall. Adding fertilizer will help keep the bulb healthy during the fall and winter season and will increase growth in the spring. Fertilizer is not needed but it will help if you have drainage problems or if you have planted a little late into the fall season.
6. Planting bulbs in the fall also should occur before the first frost of the season which might be somewhere near November depending on your location. The reason you want to plant before the first frost is to help keep the bulbs cool throughout the fall and winter. Every area has a specific zone so it is important to know that when you are going to be planting bulbs. If you are unsure of your local planting zone then you can always ask someone who works at a flower shop and they will tell you when this might be in your area.
7. You also want to keep in mind that bigger bulbs will not generally bloom until later in the spring. If you want to see a bulb come up early in the spring then you should buy some smaller bulbs. The smaller the bulb is will relate to how soon in the spring the bulb starts to blossom. If you do not mind waiting until mid-spring for your bulb to bloom then you can get the bigger bulbs.
8. When you are planting bulbs you also want to make sure that you are planting them in a location that will get optimal sun. You want your bulbs to get at least 6 hours of sunlight in the spring and summer but 12 hours is even better. Do not plant the bulbs in a location that is in the shade or that gets only a few hours of sun everyday because the bulbs will not thrive. Bulbs that grow in the spring and summer need as much sunlight as possible in order to thrive and grow as expected.
9. When you are planting your bulbs, you want to make sure that the bulb is planted upward. The bulb will have a large base with a small point on the top and the top should be planted upward. The top of the bulb is the part of the plant that will open to create a flower and the big area is the base or roots of the plant. Never plant the bulb with the point facing into the ground because this will ruin your flower and nothing will come up in the spring.
10. You also want to make sure that you give the bulb enough water after you have planted it and covered it with fertilizer and soil. Water is important for any plant or bulb and it is important that the bulb gets a lot of water during the first week after being planted. The water should not puddle at the base of the plant but it should be enough water to saturate it and quench the thirst of the plant. Once you have watered the bulb a few times you should not need to water it anymore.