It’s that time of year where we take trips with family and friends. No one starts out a trip thinking it’s going to be a disaster, but how many crazy stories do we come back with when you take a vacation with the wrong combination of people. I have taken many a road trip, and this list will provide you with a sure fire way to diffuse any difficult situation. Beware of climbing into that vehicle for your long journey without thinking at all about what you are going to be listening to the hold time. Will it be your two friends screaming obscenities? Maybe, Uncle Artie is sick of one of your cousins video games making annoying noises. Block out all the extra noise with some fine CDs.
(10) Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers “Greatest Hits”: Get your road trip off to a fantastic start with songs that are both relaxing, fun to sing along too, and great with the windows rolled down. Most generations know some of these songs, and you’ll be surprised how many gems this band has written that you might have forgotten about. One of rocks living legends, Tom and the crew will keep your spirits up as you go on your long journey. If anyone starts bugging you, you can just click to track six and sing “Don’t Do Me Like That” or track twelve’s anthem of “I Won’t Back Down.” It might be best to start out of order with track sixteen’s “Into the Great Wide Open.” There’s no better start to a road trip song than that! You’ll be “Free Fallin” as your “Learning to Fly” like a “Refugee.” This catchy, light rock is so good, you might even pop it back in later in the road trip! Pick it up at Amazon!
(9) Christina Aguilera’s “Keeps Getting Better”: The album title says it all! Versatile and a powerhouse singer, Christina’s greatest hits will pump you and keep you going. She has beautiful ballads, throw back big band, and funky dance tracks. Her four early singles are pure, catchy pop confection. You’ll dance your way through “Genie in a Bottle” and “Come on Over” as your crossing that next state border. Then just when you get tired of the pop, Christina turns up the heat with the sassy hits “Dirrty” and “Fighter.” Thankfully, after all that car dancing you get to relax and enjoy the Grammy winning “Beautiful.” Then get ready to want to swing dance with “Aint No Other Man” and “Candy Man.” There’s really something for everyone, and you’ll even enjoy her new material as well. Pick it up at Amazon.
(8) Beyonce’s “I Am Sasha Fierce”: Figuring you started your road trip earlier in the day, we’re not quite ready for the non-drivers to fall asleep just yet. We’ve got to keep on pushing on! Beyonce has so many amazing songs on this album, it could be its own greatest hits! Of course, everyone will do their best car dance version of “Single Ladies.” Beyond that, there are tons of amazing dance tracks and beautiful ballads. The whole car will love “Radio,” “Diva,” “Sweet Dreams” and “Radio Phone.” The first disc will also give you a little break from all of the dancing, with her lovely ballads like “If I Were a Boy,” “Broken Hearted Girl,” and “Ave Maria.” You might even want to divide this double disc up and put them between some of your other choices! Pick it up at Amazon.
(7) Billy Joel’s “Greatest Hits Volume 1 & 2”: This is perfect for when the night is winding down and you want to keep on driving. Everyone knows all these songs, so those awake will have a blast. Those who need to sleep will have beautiful dreams with his fantastic piano skills and many soothing ballads. When Billy rocks out, it is not like Metallica or anything, so you should be able to keep sleeping. With 25 songs adding up to over 2 hours of music, by the time you get back around to “Piano Man” you might be fine with hearing it all over again. This man seriously has dozens of hits for you to enjoy, from the upbeat “The Entertainer,” and “Only the Good Die Young” to the lovely “Just the Way You Are” and “She’s Always a Woman” it is impossible to be dissapointed. If you want another hour of Billy for the road you can also pick up Billy Joel’s “Greatest Hits Volume 3” for another 17 amazing hits including “We Didn’t Start the Fire” and “River of Dreams.” Seriously, this set can get you through the whole night! Pick it up at Amazon.
(6) Jackson 5 “The Ultimate Collection”: Good morning! It’s time to wake up and get through day two of your road trip! There is no better way to start off the day than the perfect, peppy Jackson 5. You can’t help but sing along to “I Want You Back” without a huge smile on your face! You’ll bop along to “ABC” and “Dancing Machine.” With twenty one of their hits, you might even learn a new gem or two. It should get you through your entire morning, and remind you of the good old days when Michael had the voice of an angel! You know you want to hear your whole care full baelt out “I”ll Be There!” Pick it up at Amazon.
(5) Bon Jovi’s “Crossroads”: Arena rock from the greats is a sure fire way to rock your way through another afternoon. “Livin’ on a Prayer” might have to be played multiple times in a row to get your full rock on. At this point you need help to “Keep the Faith” because you might want some of your road trip buddies “‘Dead or Alive” at this point. Enjoy fourteen of Bon Jovi’s greatest hits. Even their ballads have rocking vocals with crazy harmony between Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora. You guys are total “Runaways” on the road, and there’s really no other band that can help you express your inner rock star. Pick it up at Amazon.
(4) Britney Spear’s “‘The Singles Collection” Sure pick fun if you want to! I don’t count myself as a huge Spear’s fan, but I’ve never had more fun on a road trip then blaring Britney Spears. Let your inner pop star out and your car dancing levels set on high. You’ll forget the couple of hours has even passed! This playlist of singles is like watching Britney grow up all over again. You will love listening to her cute, catchy first songs like “Baby One More Time,” “You Drive Me Crazy,” and “Oops I Did it Again.” Then Britney busts out of her teen image with “I’m a Salve 4 U” and “Me Against the Music.” Then, post break up with Justin Timberlake you get “Toxic” and “Everytime.” Then, post K-Fed break up you have the single she released when things were most difficult like “Gimme More” and “Piece of Me.” It’s easy to forget how many hot dance tracks she’s had, but the three songs of her latest album and the new single “3” will help remind you why she is still the reigning Queen of pop. Pick it up at Amazon.
(3) Stevie Wonder’s “Song Review”: A thirty one song journey that will not let you down! Stevie Wonder is a living legend who has so many amazing songs they could last you all day! A two disc compilation, there’s something for everyone. You’ll rock out to “‘Part Time Lover” and “Superstition.” You’ll relax to the slow groove of “My Cherie Amour,” Ribbon in the Sky” and “Lately.” You’ll jam to “Higher Ground” and “Living for the City.” Listen to the piano and song writing master show you how it’s done. From his first single “Uptight” to his cover of “Redemption Song” you will not regret adding this album to your road trip playlist. You might even forget to stop for dinner because you are so into the music! Pick it up at Amazon.
(2) Aeromsith’s “Big Ones”: A band who has been around so long that they have their greatest hits for the first half of their career, and then a whole other set of amazing songs on “Big Ones.” It’s “Crazy” how many fantastic songs are on this album. At this point of the road trip you might all be “Livin’ on the Edge” in desperate need of Steven Tyler’s phenomenal rock vocals, fantasitc guitar riffs, and catch chorus’s. There’s nothing like a little “Dude Looks Like a Lady” to put everyone in a better mood! You will rock out to “Janie’s Got a Gun” and “Cryin’.” Like a lot of others on this list, once you get back to the beginning, you probably won’t mind hearing all of these amazing songs over again. Pick it up at Amazon.
(1) Madonna’s “Celebration”: There are literally thirty six songs on this double disc set! If this can’t get you through the end of your road trip then I don’t know what can! This has all the hits from her 3 decade spanning career. You should definitely be able to “Express Yourself” through “Music” on your “Holiday,” especially if you have reached your “Borderline.” There are so many amazing pop and dance tracks in her catalogue that you will never run out of fun. The whole car will turn into a gosepl choir for “‘Like a Prayer,” and a dance team when you get to “Vogue.” Don’t lie, you know you want to “Get Into the Groove!” Pick it up at Amazon.
I hope you have a wonderful road trip and have found some great music to make your trip a success. When you are trappepd in a car the number on most important thing is having great music to set the mood and keep people’s spirits high. There’s less room for fighting if everyone is just enjoying singing and dancing along to great tracks!