Here are some simple ideas of how to create a special Mother’s Day experience on a shoestring budget. Try combining some and make it a day of celebration.
Surprise Mother’s Day Gift Ideas on a Budget
- Give Mom a gift wrapped basket of bath goodies and candles and a note promising to organize her a tub of hot water with her choice of treats laid out.
- Wrap a shoe box or similar with pretty gift wrap and place seven small gifts inside. Include a note telling Mom to open them one a day for the next week. Choose simple gifts that she will appreciate such as a favorite drink, a floral note pad, a set of earrings or a key ring.
- Make up a set of ‘vouchers’ to be redeemed anytime over the next year. These can be for practical things like cooking dinner, doing the laundry for a day or cleaning out the garage.
- Make a Mother’s Day scrapbook. Fill it with photos of Mom and the family, taken over several years and write down memories or special times together. This is a long term project but Mom will love it.
Mother’s Day Gifts that Cost Nothing
- Ask around friends with gardens and fill the house with flowers on Mother’s Day. Put vases in each room and at least a bud or a rose if large quantities aren’t available. A nice touch would be to add little notes, thanking Mom for what she does around the house.
- Write a poem or a few words from the heart, print them and frame them and wrap them with lace and ribbons. Most mothers appreciate sentimental thoughts from their families.
- Organize a surprise family reunion. This works especially well with married children who are out of town. Try and get the whole clan together and plan a day Mom will remember forever.
Take Mom on an Outing for Mother’s Day
- Plan a surprise trip, even if it’s just to the local park for an afternoon picnic or to a special coffee shop for a decadent treat.
- Along similar lines, arrange for a friend with a flashy car to fetch Mom and the family and head for a scenic drive or a special destination. Pack some snacks to eat on the way.
- Get tickets for a movie or show that Mom would enjoy and arrange a date with her. Escort her there and pamper her with food, drinks and special treatment during the outing .
Sometimes the best things in life are those that cost the least. Mothers are worth treasuring and investing time and effort to give them a memorable Mother’s Day is a worthwhile venture. It will probably mean more to them than lavish gifts or great wealth ever could.